What is the Central Texas African American Family Support Conference?
The conference is hosted by Austin Travis County Integral Care and sponsored by community partners from the public and private sectors. The conference provides information and educational opportunities to consumers, families and the community about mental health, developmental and intellectual disabilities, chemical dependence, co-occurring disorders and physical health issues.
What is the mission of the conference?
The mission of the conference is to strengthen family and individual awareness of available health care services, behavioral and physical, through culturally sensitive education, supports and partnerships. It strives to increase individual and family awareness of available behavioral and physical healthcare services, reduce stigma, and eliminate health disparities.
What will be some of the conference highlights?
The conference planning committee has worked hard all year to bring a great line-up of workshops and 3 keynote speakers, including:
- Dr. Robert Gilmore, pastor and inspirational speaker specializing in co-occurring disorders and crisis communications for youth and families;
- Jinneh Dyson, Houston National Alliance on Mental Illness executive director;
- Dr. William July, licensed Psychologist and renowned motivational speaker;
- A specialized track for youth and young adults and sessions for the faith-based community ; and
- Over 20 workshops and panel discussions. CEU’s will also be available for professionals.
Where and when will the conference be held?
This year’s conference will take place Thursday, Feb. 28 and Friday, Mar. 1, 2013 from 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at the beautiful Hilton Austin Hotel (500 E. 4th St).
What is the cost and how does the community register?
Cost is FREE for consumers and families. To register, please visit www.ctaafsc.org or call 440-4063. Please plan to attend this informative event and encourage others to attend as well!